Eric and Melissa were both born into solid Christian families, and both heard the Gospel at a young age. They both trusted Christ as Savior in their childhood, and had the opportunity of growing up in sound churches.
They both attended Bible college at FaithWay Baptist College of Canada, where Melissa graduated with a degree in sacred music, and Eric majored in theology. They were married a year after Eric’s graduation, and they served in Eric’s home church in Boucherville, Quebec, working with youth and music.
In 2005, they joined the staff of the FaithWay Baptist Church in Ajax, Ontario. Eric served as assistant pastor, overseeing the Christian school, as well as the soul-winning and discipleship aspects of the ministry. Melissa taught music in the Christian school and in the Bible college there.
The Lord brought Daniel into their family, and the Léveillés have now transitioned to Montreal, Quebec, to start ministry there. The Léveillés are called to plant churches in the French-speaking province of Quebec. This past summer, they began the work of planting a first church: l’Église baptiste de la Cité Lumière (City of Light Baptist Church), right in the heart of the city of Montreal.
Even though we are still wrapping up deputation, since July 2013, we have been working at planting l’Église baptiste de la Cité Lumière (City of Light Baptist Church) in the heart of Montréal. Here is the website of our church. Disclaimer: It is in French.
Based on God’s Word, we believe…
1. THE SCRIPTURES We believe in the plenary, verbal inspiration of the sixty-six books of the Bible. II Tim 3:16, II Pet 1:20,21 We believe these books are the complete and full revelation of Scripture. Rev 22:18,19 II Peter 1:19 The Old and New Testaments are inerrant in the original writings, and they are the sole authority II Peter 1:3 for all matters of faith and practice. II Tim 3:14-17 We believe that the King James Version is the most accurate translation in the English language, holding the qualities of the original. We believe that it is faithful to the divine inspiration and preservation in the original languages.
2. THE GODHEAD We believe in one God, Deut 6:4 eternally existing in three coequal and co-identical Acts 5:3,4 Persons ~ Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Matt 3:16,17 II Cor 13:14 We believe that God is eternal, Psalm 90:2 omnipotent, Job 42:2 omniscient, I John 3:20 omnipresent Psalm 139:7-12 and immutable. Malachi 3:6 We believe God is holy Isaiah 6:3 and God is love; I John 4:8,16 and these two attributes are never contradictory. We believe it is holiness which separates sinful man from God Romans 5:10, I Peter 1:16 and love that provided redemption to man through Christ. Romans 5:8
3. CREATION We believe in direct and instant creation that was completed in six literal, twenty-four-hour days. Gen 1:31 We reject any theory of macro-evolution. We believe that God existed before His creation, and it is by Him that it consists. Col 1:16,17
4. THE PERSON AND WORK OF JESUS CHRIST We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, became man, without ceasing to be God,John 1:1,14 having been conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of a virgin Matt 1:20-23 (thus being born without the sin of Adam Rom 5:12) that He might reveal God John 1:1-2 Rom 1:17 and redeem sinful men. Titus 2:14 This redemption was accomplished and completed Heb 10:10 through His voluntary death Luke 22:42 John 10:18 and shed blood on the cross, Heb 9:22 John 19:34 and was made sure to us by His literal, physical resurrection from the dead. John 20:25-29 He ascended into heaven, Acts 1:9-11 and is now exalted at the right hand of God the Father to serve as our mediator I Tim 2:5 and advocate. I John 2:1 We believe that His return for His saints is imminent, I Thess. 5:2 pretribulational and premillenial. Dan 9:24 Rev 4:1 Rev 19:11-20:10
5. THE PERSON AND WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT We believe the Holy Spirit convicts the unbeliever of sin, righteousness and judgment. John 16:7-11 We believe that the Holy Spirit is the Supernatural Agent in regeneration and sanctification, John 3:3-5 baptizing all believers into the body of Christ, I Cor 12:13 Rom 12:4-5 indwelling equally and permanently Rom 8:9 I Cor 3:16 6:19 every believer and sealing Eph 1:13-14 the believer unto the day of redemption. We believe the Holy Spirit gifts the believer for service in the local church I Cor 12 Rom 12:3-8 and that sign gifts were given for the confirming of the Word of God Mark 16:17-20 which was unnecessary after the completion of the Word of God. Hebrews 2:3-4 I Cor 13:8
6. THE WAY OF SALVATION We believe that salvation is the gift of God Rom 6:23 brought to sinful man by grace and received solely by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Eph 2:8-9 All who believe in Him as God are justified Rom 3:24 4:5 on the ground of His shed blood. John 1:7 We reject all theories, philosophies, and theologies that are inconsistent with the Bible. I Cor 2:12,13 We reject the hyper interpretations of Calvinism II Peter 3:9 and Arminianism. Titus 3:5 I conclude biblically that Christ died for all men Heb 2:9 and that salvation is appropriated by individual choice by faith in Jesus Christ. We believe that all who receive the Lord Jesus Christ by faith are born again of the Holy Spirit, John 3:3-5 Eph 2:1 are the children of God, John 1:12 and are eternally secure. John 10:29 We believe that on this earth sanctification John 17:17 Eph 4:12,22-24 is a growing process Rom 7:19 Gal 5:17 and will not be complete until glorification. Philippians 3:21
7. THE DEVIL We believe the angel Lucifer was created without sin by God, Eze 28:14-15 Isaiah 14:12-14 and due to his pride sinned and was cast from heaven Eze 28:16 with the angels which did not keep their first estate. Jude 6 We believe Lucifer became the literal devil who was the agent in the fall of man. Gen 3 Rev 12:9 He is p resently the prince of this world, Eph 2:2 he will be judged John 16:11 and he shall be eternally punished. Rev 20:10
8. THE CHURCH We believe that a New Testament church is a local assembly Rev 2-3 of baptized believers, Acts 2:41 assembled for worship, edification, and obedience to the Great Commission. Matt 28:19-20 Believer’s baptism by immersion Acts 8:36-38 and the Lord’s Supper I Cor 11:17-34 are the only two ordinances of the church. The pastor and deacon are the only valid offices. I Tim 3 Church discipline Rom 16:17 of an unrepentant member Matt 18:15-17 is necessary at times for purity, as the church must be the pillar and ground of the truth. I Tim 3:15
9. BIBLICAL SEPARATION We believe all believers should honour the Lord by a life of separation from the world’s sinful philosophies and practices. John 17:15 This separation should affect the believer morally, personally, and ecclesiastically. II Cor 6:14-17 I stand in opposition to the Ecumenical Movement, New Evangelicalism, Neo-Orthodoxy, the Charismatic Movement, and Cooperative Evangelism between churches who are not of the same faith and practice. II Thess 3:6
10. THE RETURN OF CHRIST We believe in the imminent rapture I Thess. 5:2 of the believers of this current age, followed by a literal seven-year period of tribulation upon this earth. Daniel 9:24-27 This tribulation time will be climaxed by the return of the Lord Jesus Christ to the earth to introduce a literal millennial reign. Rev 19:11- 20:10 At the end of the millennial reign, Satan will be loosed for a little season to deceive the nations and will battle God once more ending in his eternal defeat. Rev 20:8
11. OUR ETERNAL STATE We believe in the bodily resurrection of all men–the saved to eternal life, and the unsaved to judgment and everlasting punishment. Acts 24:15 We believe in a literal heaven and a literal hell. We believe hell is literally a place of everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels. Matt 25:41 We believe that after death the soul is immediately ushered II Cor 5:8 into heaven in eternal bliss awaiting the first resurrection I Thess 4:16 or hell in conscious misery Luke 16:22- 23 awaiting the second resurrection to the great white throne judgment, Rev 20:11-13 based upon their belief or unbelief in Christ., We believe the lake of fire is the eternal abode of the unbeliever following the great white throne judgment.
Q. How do you pronounce your last name? (by far the most asked question!)
A. The closest English equivalent would be “lay – vee -ay”.
Q. Where is Montreal located, specifically?
A. Montreal is approximately 40 miles north of the USA border. It is located almost directly north of New York City, 375 miles up.
Q. Does everyone in Montreal speak French?
A. No. 60% of Montrealers speak French; 20% speak English; and 20% speak another language and will get along in either French or English or both.
Q. What do you mean when you say that the Gospel has only been tolerated there for half a century?
A. In the late 1940s and early 1950s, several men and women were imprisoned for the Gospel in the province of Quebec. As early as the second half of the 1800s, there is well-documented Catholic persecution against Bible believers, notably Charles Chiniquy, a converted Catholic priest. Over the years, Quebec has been unique in North America in its fierce and sometimes physical rejection of the Gospel. In the 1960s, the Catholic church lost some of its political and cultural iron grip in what is known as the Quiet Revolution. If the subject interests you, email us for a suggested reading list.
Q. What are the current biggest objections to the Gospel?
A. Most people there are either Roman Catholic or proud secularists (humanists). A common expression in which many Quebecers take pride is “une société laïque” (a secular society). By this they mean the polar opposite of a religious society. Truly, many of those who have rejected the Catholic church have rejected any church altogether.
Q. Are Quebecers trying to separate from Canada and form their own country?
A. There is a faction of the population that would vote for that, yes. Others call themselves “nationalists”, meaning that they see themselves as Quebecers more than as Canadians, but they don’t necessarily wish to secede. Finally, many others are “federalists”, meaning that they want to remain part of Canada. At this point, political independence is not in the works. There have been two foiled attempts at political separation via referendums, in 1980 and 1995.
It is my great pleasure to write a letter recommending Bro. and Mrs. Eric Leveille to you as missionaries going to the city of Montreal, Quebec to plant a church.
Bro. and Mrs. Leveille are both graduates of FaithWay Baptist College of Canada and have served on our church staff for the past six years. During this time, they have been faithful to the Lord and His work; they have proven their loyalty and been everything you could look for in staff members.
Their sincere desire to be where the Lord wants them to be has brought them to place of surrendering to the Lord’s call on their life to serve Him in Montreal.
Bro. Leveille is a mature Christian, a faithful soul-winner, and is serious about serving the Lord. Mrs. Leveille is a wonderful help-meet to her husband, an accomplished musician, and they make a wonderful team. God has given them a son, Daniel, who has brought great joy to their lives.
I believe you will be blessed to get to know this fine family and it would be a great investment of your missions money to partner with us as we send this family to reach a very needy city with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Would you please prayerfully consider having the Leveille family present their burden for Montreal to your church? As their pastor, I would sincerely appreciate any consideration you give to these exceptional servants of God.
Eric’s parents joined our church when he was five years of age. They are always present, faithful, involved. They are real pillars in our congregation.
There is no doubt in my mind that Eric is very well equipped to undertake this work, by the grace of God. First, he knows the langugage and the culture, as he grew up in Quebec.
He also received excellent training. He is a graduate of FaithWay Baptist College and he has furthered his studies at Pensacola Christian College.
Eric possesses several years of experience in the ministry. During these years, he has held several positions. This allowed him to acquire experience and perseverance, which are essential qualities to serve the Lord.
Eric wants to work in the Montreal area, where the needs are immense. It is clear to me that he has proven himself over the course of many years. He has the wholehearted support of our church. It is with joy and confidence that I recommend him to you.
Other references are available upon request.